NHS Choices East Riding CCG East Riding Council Hull City Council City Health Care Partnership CIC, a co-owned business Hull Clinical Commissioning Group

Get ready for winter

NHS Hull Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), East Riding of Yorkshire CCG, City Health Care Partnership CIC (CHCP), Hull City Council and East Riding of Yorkshire Council are encouraging people in Hull and the East Riding to ‘Stay Well This Winter’.

On this website you will find everything you need to help keep yourself, and those around you, healthy over the winter months.

Scroll down to find out how we can help Stay Well This Winter

Stay well this winter

We all know that the cold weather can be bad for our health, but there are a number of things you can do to help you and your family stay well this winter:

  • Seek early advice - If you start to feel unwell, even if it is just a cough or cold, don’t wait until it gets more serious, get help from your local pharmacist. The sooner you get advice the better - you do not need an appointment, and you may be able to receive medicine for free under the minor ailments scheme.
  • Know where to get treatment - It is important to access the most appropriate service for your ailment of illness; details of where to go to receive treatment, advice and medication are below. 
  • Keep warm - it is important to keep warm in winter – both inside and outdoors as it can help to prevent colds, flu and more serious health problems, such as heart attacks, strokes pneumonia and depression. Heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F), if you can, you might prefer your living room to be slightly warmer.

Remember, if you have a long-term health condition like: COPD; bronchitis, emphysema; diabetes; heart or kidney disease or have suffered a stroke, cold weather can make health problems like these far worse. If you start to feel unwell, at the first signs of symptoms of winter respiratory illness, even if it’s just a cough or cold, get advice from your pharmacist, before it gets more serious.

Where to get medical treatment and advice

If you, or someone you know, become unwell this winter it is important to know where to go to get medical treatment and advice: 



Often over the counter remedies can successfully treat coughs, colds and stomach upsets, plus a range of other minor illnesses. Be prepared by keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home; for further information please click here


NHS 111

For non-emergencies call 111 for quick medical advice. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call from landlines and mobile phones. 


Pharmacy advice and treatment

Pharmacists offer free advice on a number of illnesses and can recommend which medicines to take. No appointment is needed. To find a pharmacy near you, click here.

If you take regular medication, it's important to order your prescription in plenty of time and make sure you have enough to last over weekends and bank holidays. For further information please click here


Hull Minor aliments scheme

In Hull, people who do not pay for prescriptions can visit a number of pharmacies to receive free-of-charge medication without having to see their GP first. Further information about the scheme is available here.


GP Appointments

Make an appointment with your GP if you have an illness or injury which won’t go away, but which isn’t an emergency. Your GP or nurse will be able to treat and manage a number of symptoms and can make a referral to hospital if needed. Find out more here.

If you are not registered with a GP, please click here to find GP services close to you.


Hull Walk in centre

In Hull, you can visit Story Street Medical Practice, between 8am – 8pm without an appointment. The practice sees both registered and unregistered patients and is open 7 days a week and over bank holidays. For more information, click here.                                                                

Story Street Medical Practice, Wilberforce Health Centre, 6 – 10 Story Street, Hull, HU1 3SA. 01482 335180


Out of hours GP service

The out of hours GP service is available for patients when doctors surgeries are closed from 6.30pm to 8.00am weekdays and all day at weekends and on Bank Holidays. If you need medical treatment that’s not an immediate emergency, but cannot wait until the next day then access the out of hours GP by calling 111. Find out more here.


Minor Injuries Units

If you have a minor injuries, which requires treatment but which is not an emergency then visit a Minor Injuries Unit (MIU). Patients over 12 months old can be seen as the MIU and treated by highly skilled nurse practitioners for injuries including:

  • ankle, hand, wrist, knee, and elbow injuries
  • animal and insect bites
  • burns and scalds
  • cuts including those needing stitching
  • eye complaints
  • minor head injuries

Click here for Hull MIU info                                                          Click here for East Riding MIU info


A&E, Emergency Department and 999

For life threatening and emergency situations, such as: loss of consciousness, acute confused state, fits, chest pain, breathing difficulties and severe bleeding, call 999 or visit your closest A&E or Emergency Department (ED) immediately.

Keep warm, keep in touch, keep well

Keep warm

Being prepared for the cold weather and keeping warm, can help make you less vulnerable to illnesses that are more common in winter.

Heat your home to at least 18°C (65°F), if you can, and try to keep the room you spend most of your time in slightly warmer. Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice can help you to make sure you’re receiving all the help you’re entitled to for heating your home. The local Citizens Advice team have provided the following advice to make sure you're able to keep warm and keep well:


Keep in touch

Did you know a third of elderly people never or only occasionally socialise with family or friends? This means that they can be slow at seeking help if they become unwell and it may increases their risk of developing further complications of becoming seriously ill.

Keep in touch with elderly relatives, neighbours and friends throughout the winter season. Even a little support goes a long way toward helping people to stay well this winter. There are a few simple things older people can do each year: get their flu jab, seek medical advice as soon as they need it and keep their home warm.  


Keep well

Keep well this winter by following this advice for common winter illnesses:

  • Colds: drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest if you’ve got a cold. Speak to your local pharmacy about treatments to ease the symptoms, such as vapour rubs, and remember to get advice as soon as you start feeling unwell if you’re over 65 or have a long term health condition. Find out more about the common cold here.
  • Sore throat: this is usually a symptom of the common cold and doesn’t usually require medical treatment. Over the counter painkillers, drinking fluids and getting plenty of rest can help with the symptoms. Find out more about treating a sore throat here.
  • Asthma: cold weather can trigger symptoms of asthma, wrap up warm when you’re out and about and always carry your inhalers. Find out more about asthma in the cold weather here.
  • Norovirus: otherwise known as the winter vomiting bug, norovirus, is highly contagious and causes vomiting and diarrhoea. The stomach bug only usually lasts for a few days, if you have a long term health condition or have the bug for longer than a few days telephone your GP or NHS 111 for advice. Try to stay at home if you have norovirus to help reduce the spread of the bug. Find out more here.
  • Flu: If you’re aged over 65 or have a long term health condition make sure to have your flu vaccine; if you do not have the vaccine and you get flu, it can be life threatening. Symptoms of flu differ from that of a cold and include a high temperature, tiredness and weakness, a headache, aches and pains and a dry, chesty cough. If you are otherwise fit and healthy keep hydrated, warm and rest. Over the counter painkillers can help relieve aches and pains and lower your temperature. Seek medical advice if you are aged 65 or over, pregnant or have a long term health condition. Find out more here.

Remember: if you are aged over 65, pregnant or have a long term health condition then seek advice from a health professional as soon as you begin to feel unwell.


Don’t forget!

If at any point you’re worried about your common winter illness symptoms seek medical advice by calling NHS 111, free from UK landlines and mobiles, or speak to a local pharmacist about how you can treat your symptoms. 

If you’re over 65, pregnant or have a long term health condition then seek advice from a health professional as soon as you begin to feel unwell.

Many GP surgeries and pharmacies will be closed over the Christmas and New Year bank holiday period, if you take regular medication make sure to collect your prescription in plenty of time before the services are closed.

For more information visit the NHS choices website here.