From 1 July 2022, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) will be dissolved, and Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) will take over the responsibility for NHS functions and budgets. We will become part of NHS Humber and North Yorkshire ICB. You can continue to use this website to find the information you need, which remains relevant for the Hull area.

 In Uncategorised

Frontline staff at Hull Royal Infirmary are under intense pressure today with patients arriving at its emergency department almost every two minutes.

Around 35 people have turned up at the hospital’s Emergency Care Area, which normally treats the less serious illnesses and injuries, every hour since 10 am.

However, most could have gone to the GP Walk-In Centre at Wilberforce Health Centre, the Urgent Treatment Centres or even gone to their local pharmacist for help.

Now, Teresa Cope, Chief Operating Officer at Hull University Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, is making an urgent appeal to people only to come to Hull Royal if it’s a genuine emergency.

She said: “We are seeing scores of people streaming through the doors of our Emergency Care Area, forcing us to move our doctors and nurses from other areas to cope with the demand.

“This increase in demand is not sustainable and we require people to think twice before coming here.

“If you come to Hull Royal with anything other than a genuine emergency, be prepared to wait hours and hours to be seen.

“And if you do show up at Hull Royal with less serious illnesses or injuries or just because you can’t get an appointment with your own GP, you could be putting someone else’s life in danger because you are taking our staff away from the patients who really need them.”

Urgent Treatment Centres are available in Bransholme, Goole, Beverley and Bridlington. Those in need of advice can also call NHS111, use their local pharmacist, or visit the GP walk-in service at Wilberforce Health Centre in Story Street.

If you live in Hull, visit to find out where you can go to be seen quickly.

You can visit to find the alternatives to A&E if you live in the East Riding.

If you are unsure about where to go for help, call NHS 111.

Recent Posts
Skip to content