From 1 July 2022, Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) will be dissolved, and Integrated Care Boards (ICBs) will take over the responsibility for NHS functions and budgets. We will become part of NHS Humber and North Yorkshire ICB. You can continue to use this website to find the information you need, which remains relevant for the Hull area.

Making a complaint

What if I have a complaint about my GP practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician?

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services (GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician). If you have a complaint about these services, please contact NHS England at the address below:
Tel: 0300 311 22 33
In writing: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Who can complain?

Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner. If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.

How do I make a complaint?

The first stage of the NHS complaints procedure is called ‘local resolution’. Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible. Your complaint should be made to the NHS organisation who provided the service. If your complaint is about your primary care practitioner (GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician) you may complain directly to the practice, or contact NHS England.

You can make your complaint in writing, by email, or verbally. If you make your complaint verbally you will be asked to sign and return a written record to ensure that you agree with the contents.

When should I make a complaint?

A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention. In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.

What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

If your complaint involves more than one NHS organisation or the NHS and social care, you only need to make one complaint and you will receive a single, coordinated response.

If any part of the joint complaint relates to a primary care service, (that is a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician), the complaint will need to be raised with NHS England using the details above.

Where do I send my complaint?

If your complaint is about a hospital, community or mental health service you should send this to the NHS organisation involved. If your complaint is about a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician you should send this to the practice concerned or via NHS England.

If your complaint is about a CCG commissioning or funding decision you should send this to:

Phone: 01482 335409
Address: Patient Relations, Freepost Plus RTGL-RGEB-JABG, NHS HULL Clinical Commissioning Group, 2nd Floor, Wilberforce Court, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 1UY

Independent NHS complaints advocacy

Cloverleaf Advocacy now provide an independent NHS Complaints Advocacy service for the City of Hull.

All referrals to the independent NHS Complaints Advocacy service should be made to Cloverleaf by:

Phone: 0300 012 4212

Text service: 07860 021502 (incoming only)



Cloverleaf Advocacy

5th Floor

Empire House

Wakefield Old Road


West Yorkshire

WF12 8DJ


Healthwatch Hull can support you further with independent advice. Contact them:

Healthwatch Hull

The Strand,

Hull CVS,

75 Beverley Road,

Hull, HU3 1XL

Tel: 07593 261312

Open Monday to Friday:

9am – 4pm



Skip to content